Data processing types
OLTP, OLAP, ROLAP, MOLAP, HOLAP
Distinguishing between data processing types in data warehousing :
- Online transaction processing (OLTP): A system that facilitate & manage transaction-oriented applications. It's a concept in #DBMS. User interaction is involved.
- Online Analytical Processing (OLAP): A system that answers multi-dimensional analytical (MDA) queries. It's a concept in business intelligence (BI). User interaction is involved.
- Relational Online Analytical Processing (ROLAP): OLAP done with RDBMS, with queries computed on-demand.
- Results for user queries are computed on-demand.
- Multidimensional Online Analytical Processing (MOLAP)
- Results for user queries are pre-computed. Variables in the user query are represented as dimensions of the data.
- Hybrid Online Analytical Processing (HOLAP): some data in ROLAP, some in MOLAP.
- OLAP has much more complex queries,
- OLAP may operate in a smaller volume,
- OLAP is for the purpose of BI or reporting, rather than to process transactions.
- OLTP systems process all kinds of queries (read, insert, update and delete), OLAP is generally optimized for read only (and might not even support other kinds of queries).